Thursday, August 27, 2015

Throw back to Thailand




I think I was in Thailand this time last year. Either weaving through the floating markets, hugging baby tigers at the Sriracha Zoo, happily lost amongst the bustling streets of Bangkok, or indulging in fresh seafood on the beaches of Pattaya. Whatever I was doing in Thailand - it's definitely a lot better than sitting at home watching old episodes of The Ellen Show because I need to have a little fun today. 


Traveling is one of the greatest enjoyments in my life. I haven't been to a great number of places around the world, though out of all the places I have been, I must say that Thailand was the most memorable. It's difficult to explain what about it makes it so special - and maybe that's exactly why it is so special. There are things in life you can't explain, only experience to understand.


Thailand is a unique country. It's a wealthy collection of culture and history amidst tropical paradises. Imagine exploring grand temples and royal palaces in the morning, soaking up the sun on a paradise island in the afternoon, enjoying flavorful and spiced up Thai cuisine for dinner and then heading out for an evening of adventure and mysterious nightlife. 



For anyone who has never visited Asia, Thailand is a great destination to start. It's relatively affordable (in comparison to places like Japan or Hong Kong), gives you a true Asian experience (street food, markets, temples, palaces), will keep you rested (on the beaches) and busy (on the streets) and end up being a trip you'll remember for a lifetime.

My trip to Thailand was as a group tour, which was nice because we got a taste of everything and not nice because of the rush (that's how we saw everything) and crazy schedule everyday (think: no sleep and 5 minute showers). Regardless, I loved it! 

I had family members who were wary of how safe travelling in Thailand would be (think scams and pickpockets), but I found it to be fine. It's a very crowded and busy place but I found the people there to be welcoming to tourists and helpful. I did not have any problems with theft and never felt like I was in an unsafe environment. It's always good to be a bit cautious of your surroundings and belongings - but that goes for wherever you are. 

A few things I would mention to anyone new to Asian countries:
- Don't expect fancy washrooms and toilets (or toilets at all). I always pack Kleenex and wet wipes with me (trust me, they come in handy)
- Bring Tums (it's a spicy, deep fried world out there)
- Comfy clothes and comfy shoes. You'll be walking and sweating all day - not to mention eating delicious street food and probably having to use "squat washrooms" (do you really want to be worrying about your pretty blouse?)
- Bring a smaller purse with essentials inside only.
- Haggle! Don't be afraid to ask for a lower price on things in the market. The worse that could happen is they say no!
- If you see souvenirs you really like, buy them. Chances are you won't come by that same thing again.
- Take photos! Of anything and everything! 



I hope I get the chance to visit Thailand again in the near future and explore more islands and cities


xo
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment