Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Rachel Comey Calder Heels

(photo from A Standard of Living)

Ah Rachel Comey

Words could not describe my love for her collection of shoes. From boots, to heels, to oxfords - they all have a special place in my heart. If you've never heard of Rachel Comey and have a soft spot for chic, simple, and timeless designs (think leather booties with chunky wooden heels) you need to do yourself a favor and check her out (love this interview with her from A Standard of Living). She also has a wealthy collection of menswear and womenswear that showcase unique textiles, graceful silhouettes, and are all made locally in Manhattan. An art major with a focus on sculpture and being a former gallery owner, all of her designs are created with an artist's eye.

 
(all photos from Totokaelo)

The Rachel Comey Calder heel is the latest of her designs to make a footprint in my closet. I was fortunate to snag a pair of white Calders before them going out of stock on Need Supply. They have been on heavy rotation for the past month (since I got them) and I can see them continuing to be so for quite the time to come.

These shoes feature:
  • 2-inch natural wooden heel with rubber cap (super easy to walk in)
  • leather uppers and leather sole
  • pointed, closed toes
  • slip-on wear with ruched elastic at mouth
  • made in Peru
  • retail price $345

I love the slip-on feature of this shoe and the ballerina-esque ruched elastic mouth. They remind of Celine's ballerina pumps - but because of the thicker pebbled leather on the Comeys, they look much less like actual ballerina flats.
 
(photos from Need Supply and Pinterest)

Now - beauty always comes with some sort of price (whether it be price tag, pain or some other unfavourable circumstance). These were my first pair of Rachel Comeys that I had to break in (with pain). My first wear with these shoes left the top mound of my big toe bruised (area where my big toe attaches to my foot/where you may have a bunion). I put the fault on the thick, quality leather and pretty ruched elastic mouth - because they had not stretched out yet, the elastic mouth sat very tightly against the top of my foot with the leather almost digging into my skin. I had to retire these shoes for a good week (while my ugly purple bruises healed). After a few more slightly painful wears, they finally loosened up and have now become one of the comfiest pairs of shoes I own.

I would say the Rachel Comey Calder heels fit true to size, albeit I did size up half a size for toe-wiggling room. Normally, with closed toe shoes (boots, pumps) I prefer to have just a bit of wiggle room for comfort and in case I wanted to add an extra insole for padding in later days.

If you're looking to add a new pair of heels to your wardrobe and want something classic, chic and easy for every day, I would highly recommend giving these beauties a look. For those with wider feet or if you have bunions (or simply don't fancy very snuggly-fit shoes), I would strongly suggest trying these on in stores prior to purchasing. I have pretty average feet - not wide, not long, no bunions - and these caused me quite the agony the first few wears (but at the end of the day, it was worth it). Choosing the white was a no brainer for me as I had been on the lookout for a pair of white heels for quite some time now. But in case you weren't a fan, these heels also come in basic black, a funky metallic silver, and I have also seen a yummy taupe on Anthropologie (though they were sold out the last time I checked).


Do you have any Rachel Comeys in your closet?

xo
Lori
 

No comments:

Post a Comment